Saturday, November 3, 2012

November Currently

Hello Strangers! I have clearly been absent since August... I am very overwhelmed this year. Even after 9 years you can get overwhelmed by it all. I have 25 firsties this year... which in Texas is over the 22:1 limit. Help will be on the way in January so I have to survive 6 more weeks with my 15 boys and 10 girls. 15 boys should just be illegal.

I have also been lucky enough to mentor a wonderful intern this Fall. She is fabulous and will be the teacher that we are adding to our team in January. So, even though I am so overwhelmed with 25 kids I keep looking around my room thinking about which 6 are going to be moved to her room. I am very attached and it just breaks my heart to think that they won't be mine anymore, but it is what is best for those kids. They deserve to be in a classroom where they can have more teacher attention than they are currently receiving.

My son also started Kindergarten this year. That is a huge adjustment that I was NOT prepared for. He is having a very long day and is absolutely exhausted by the end of it.... He is way over being at school when I am still there working on lesson plans and paperwork... oh the paperwork this year is INSANE.

But enough complaining.... here is my November Currently....


I am so looking forward to the week before Thanksgiving. I am taking back over from my Intern that week. I haven't taught in 6 weeks and boy do I miss it. I have been doing more behavior management for one particular student that is having an especially hard time adjusting to the demands of first grade. But the biggest part of Thanksgiving week is the Scholastic Book Fair is at our library. We end the week with a fun Book Character Day. I can't wait to share our idea but it is always a BIG secret until that morning so I can't share but will blog about it later.

I hope to not be as absent in the future. I love blogging and have kept up with reading the fantastic things that everyone is doing and I get so inspired by everyone. Hope everyone has a great first weekend of November.

Remember to link up with Farley!

6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of being a a positive mentor for someone....but not sure I could let go of the reigns!
    In August I could totally pick a few that would go to another class but I'm totally attached now. And I'm jealous of your Texas weather. :(

    I'm also a first grade teacher and was very happy to find you on Farley's currently link-up. I'd love if you hopped over and checked out my blog, too!

    Brenda
    You Might Be a First Grader...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog therapy while on a vacation sounds terrific to me!

    Krazy Town

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Meridith! I found you through Currently. I really do follow the rule of 3, then I get so addicted I just keep coming back and checking out more blogs! I also am hoping for a vacation! I started the year off with 25 students, and 2 moved. I am down to 23 keepers! I have 9 girls 14 boys. I think our ratio limit is 30:1, but I am not sure. I am glad I found you!
    Stephanie
    Crazy About First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back to blogging! It certainly motivates and inspires me to see what others are doing in their classrooms. Glad help is on the way for you. Hope you and your son have a great rest of the school year! P.S. found you through Farley's Currently.

    Young Daze in 5th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to have found you through Farley! I haven't linked up quite yet, but peeked at who linked up looking specifically for more first grade teachers like me. :)
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just nominated you for the Leibster award! Stop by my blog for more information!
    Stephanie
    Crazy About First Grade

    ReplyDelete